Slow Cooker White Beans & Ham
Slow Cooker White Beans and Ham is the very definition of comfort food. It is an easy way to make a hearty, flavorful dinner and a great way to use up leftover ham.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 5 mins
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6 - 8 oz salt pork Our grocery store sells 12 oz packages and I use half the package for each reciple.
- 1 lb Great White Northern Beans I use Camellia beans because I find them to be the best quality and they don't usually come with rocks in them ;)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 large onion, diced If you do not have a large onion, use two small or medium onions.
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 5 sprigs thyme, dried
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme If you do not have fresh thyme, add 1 tsp dried thyme.
- 1 tsp salt, kosher
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- white rice Serve your white beans over white rice.
- 1 tbsp pepperoncini peppers, diced I love Trappey's Peppers, but we can only get them in Louisiana.
Turn your slow cooker on high and add a tablespoon of butter.
While it is melting, dice your vegetables, mince your garlic, and cut up your ham and salt pork into bite size pieces.
Once the butter is melted, add your garlic, onions, carrots, celery, salt pork, ham hock, and green bell pepper to your slow cooker.
Season with cayenne pepper, thyme, salt, pepper, and a bay leaf. Mix well and add your chicken stock.
Cook for one hour on high, then check the liquid level in the beans. As long as the beans are covered with some liquid, you are good to keep cooking. If all of the liquid has been absorbed, add a little more stock in 1 cup increments.
Continue cooking for 3 more hours, checking every once in a while to stir.
After four hours have elapsed, add your ham and cook for another two hours. Beans are ready to serve when some of the beans start to separate from their skins and they can be mushed easily.
Serve over white rice and top with diced pepperoncini peppers. Add a side of cornbread to take it over the top!
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 593kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 1664mg | Potassium: 1179mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2725IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 164mg | Iron: 7mg