Homemade Frozen Dog Treats with Peanut Butter and Banana are easy to make and are a nice cold treat on a hot summer day. Nutrition packed dog ice cream is the best way to show your pup some love.
If your dog is anything like our dog, Melly, treats are life. Just say cookie, treat, biscuit, and even "Do you want this?" and she comes running from wherever she is. The sound of a mason jar opening can wake her from a sound sleep on the other side of the house!
When it is hot out, I love to make her some frozen dog treats. These are super easy to make - just mix everything together and pour into a silicone mold.
I have also made these using a mini muffin tin, but they are really hard to remove and were a bit big for Melly to eat so I had to chop them up! (Though she did enjoy cleaning out the muffin tin of all the stuck-on pieces.)
🥘 Ingredient Notes
• a banana
• peanut butter (without xylitol)
• flaxseed meal
• chicken or beef bone broth
• plain yogurt
🥣 How to Make It
Frozen dog treats are so simple to make. Using a mixer (or a big bowl and a fork), mash your banana. Then combine with half a cup of yogurt to make a smushy mess.
Then mix in half a cup of peanut butter and half a cup of bone broth. (I have made this using a whole cup of bone broth and it works as well, but makes the treats a little more like an ice cube which is harder for the dogs to chew!) Add your two tablespoons of flax and mix. (Flax is also not mandatory, but Melly loves it!)
The mixing order is not super important, but if you mix the bone broth in with nothing else in the bowl, it will splash a lot, so exercise caution!
Pour your dog ice cream into your molds, filling to the rim of the molds. Lay flat in the freezer so they don't spill everywhere! Let your treats freeze for 2 - 4 hours and then pop them out of the molds and store them in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the freezer. (And be sure to let your dog taste test them!) I also let Melly clean the bowl and spoon because she's my girl and she's spoiled 😉
Feel free to customize this recipe - banana can be replaced with ½ cup of pumpkin. I have also mixed in chopped up green beans because Melly LOVES frozen green beans!
I love that these are treats for my dog but they pack a nutrition punch at the same time!
Homemade Peanut Butter and Banana Dog Treats
- Stand Mixer or large bowl with a fork
- 1 banana
- ½ cup peanut butter, natural Avoid peanut butter with added sugars and artificial sweeteners, as these are not good for dogs.
- ½ cup plain yogurt Use plain, unsweetened yogurt. Greek yogurt is fine as well, but avoid sweeteners and added flavors.
- ½ cup bone broth I use chicken bone broth - you can use chicken stock or beef stock.
- 2 tbsp ground flax meal I buy this from Trader Joe's but you can get it on Amazon as well.
- Mash banana in a bowl with a fork or with a mixer.
- Combine with yogurt and mix well.
- Add in the rest of your ingredients - peanut butter, bone broth, and flax meal. Be careful adding your bone broth because it can splash everywhere.
- Using a small measuring cup, pour into your molds.
- Freeze for 2 - 4 hours, laying flat in the freezer. Once frozen, pop out of molds and store in the freezer in an air-tight container. (If you use large molds, freezing time might increase.)
Nutrition information is approximate and is automatically calculated, so should only be used as a guide.