Buttery Garlic and Herb Smashed Potatoes are baby potatoes that are drizzled with ghee and topped with garlic, salt, and herbs. Boiled then baked for a fluffy inside and a crispy skin - these potatoes will quickly become a family favorite.
How Long Does It Take to Boil Potatoes?
To make smashed potatoes, fill a large pot with water and a pinch of salt. Bring water to a boil and add your potatoes. Baby potatoes only take 5 - 10 minutes, but larger potatoes will take a little longer. You will know that they are cooked enough when you can easily poke a fork into the potatoes.
🥣 How to Make It
Place your potatoes on a non-stick baking mat, using a cookie sheet with edges. One at a time, "smash" your potatoes with the bottom of a jar or a glass. The smaller you squish them, the crispier they will be. I usually aim for between 1/2 an inch and 3/4 of an inch thick. (Or, to make it easier, smash them all at once with another baking sheet! )
While smashing your potatoes, melt 1/4 cup of ghee with 3 cloves of crushed garlic.
Drizzle each potato with a spoonful of the garlic and ghee mixture.
Sprinkle each potato with a pinch of salt and a few shakes of dried parsley.
Packing your potatoes close together will prevent your ghee from running all over the pan. You can add as much salt, parsley, and garlic as your family enjoys. These can also be made with butter instead of ghee, but this will not be Whole30 friendly.
Bake until the edges of your potatoes start to brown and your garlic gets crispy. This should take 10 - 15 minutes. If your oven is a little wacky like mine, turn your tray halfway through the cooking process.
Eat immediately and enjoy the potatoes as a side dish. If you are not trying to keep your recipe Paleo, top with a little cheese or sour cream.
You can make this recipe with all different herb combinations:
Buttery Garlic and Herb Smashed Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and boil until the potatoes are fork tender. (When you stab them with a fork and it doesn't require much effort to break the skin.)
- Strain potatoes into a colander.
- Melt 1/4 cup of ghee and combine with 3 cloves of minced garlic.
- Lay out potatoes on a non-stick baking sheet with edges. Smush potatoes with the bottom of a jar or glass. The thinner they are, the crispier they will be. Aim for 1/2 - 3/4 inch.
- Drizzle about a teaspoon of your garlic and ghee mix over each potato.
- Sprinkle with parsley and kosher salt to your liking.
- Bake at 375°F for 10-15 minutes, turning midway through if your oven heats unevenly.
- Remove when garlic starts to brown and the potato skin starts to get crunchy.
Nutrition information is approximate and is automatically calculated, so should only be used as a guide.