Chili Lime Chicken is moist, tender, and bursting with flavor. This chicken is savory and sweet with a little bit of heat. It is perfect for salads, burritos, tacos, pasta, and more.
Having a delicious protein on hand for quick dinners is a necessity for anyone trying to eat healthier. Paleo Chili Lime Chicken is a favorite at our house because it is quick, easy, & delicious. Anything that I can make in an Instant Pot quickly becomes a favorite. Even better, my chili lime chicken is Paleo, Keto, and perfect for a Whole30.
The fastest and easiest way to make Paleo Chili Lime Chicken is using an Instant Pot. It is hands-free and you are always guaranteed perfect chicken.
Don’t Have an Instant Pot?
Don’t worry if you do not have an Instant Pot – you can make this chicken in your oven or slow-cooker. (Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes or cook in your slow cooker on low for 4 – 6 hours.)
How Do You Make Chili Lime Chicken in an Instant Pot?
To begin, place your chicken on a plate or in a bowl and coat completely with Tajin Seasoning and a sprinkle of salt.
This chili lime chicken marinade (or dry rub) will give you the most flavor. Cover the chicken and place in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes or if you are in a rush, you can cook right away.
Begin heating up your Instant Pot by pressing the saute button. It will heat up quickly.
Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of olive oil and get that nice and hot. It won’t take long to heat up – a minute or less should do the trick as the instant pot is pretty thin.
Lay your chicken breasts in your Instant Pot and sear for 2-3 minutes.
Flip chicken and sear the other side. You are not trying to cook the chicken, just giving it a quick sear to seal in the moisture and get a nice crust on the outside.
Press your Off /Cancel/Keep Warm button and then add your onions.
Put the lid on, close your Instant Pot, and make sure your vent is closed.
Press your poultry button to start the cooking process and set the time to 14 minutes. It should take about 14 minutes to cook, but if you have a lot of chicken or your chicken is still a little frozen, increase the time by a few minutes. (Try not to exceed 18 minutes.) If you are using a 3 Quart/Mini Instant Pot, you will have to sear the breasts a couple at a time and then return them all to the pot.
When the time is up, turn your Instant Pot off and let the pressure reduce naturally. Open the lid only when you can open the vent and the pin has dropped.
Remove your chicken breasts and let it cool. Dice or shred and return to the cooking liquids to keep all the good flavors.
Enjoy your chicken immediately or divide it into portions to freeze for serving later. We like to do this to make sure we have a healthy protein available to make lunches or quick dinners.
How Long Can You Keep Chili Lime Chicken?
Chili lime chicken must be refrigerated. Wait for it to cool and place along with cooking liquids in an airtight container. Enjoy within 3 – 4 days or freeze.
What Can Chili Lime Chicken be Used for?
Use your chili lime chicken for salads, burritos, pasta, enchiladas, casseroles, tacos – whatever your heart desires!
The Best Quick and Easy Chili Lime Chicken in an Instant Pot
- Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker, or Crockpot
- Clean up your chicken (trim off extra fat/gristle).
- Completely coat both sides of each breast with Tajin seasoning and a pinch of salt.
- Let sit in the fridge for 15-20 minutes or begin cooking immediately.
- Set your Instant Pot to the saute setting and let it heat for a minute or two. It will heat up very quickly.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and then lay your chicken breasts down in the Instant Pot.
- Let sear for 2 - 3 minutes and then flip over. The idea is to sear the chicken on each side to keep in the moisture and get crispy, seasoned skin.
- Once both sides are seared, turn off the Instant Pot.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and close the vent.
- Press the poultry button and cook for 14 minutes, increase the cooking time if you are using a lot of chicken or if your chicken is frozen.
- When cooking is complete, let the pressure release naturally (which should take 5 - 10 minutes) and then open the vent. Wait until the pin drops and then remove the lid and take out your chicken.
- Shred or dice the chicken and return to cooking liquid.
- Eat immediately or store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator once your chicken has cooled down.