Creamed corn, corn niblets, and sour cream baked into sweet, moist cornbread, this Corn Pudding is delicious enough for any holiday gathering or dinner meal. Not only does it bring you back to your southern roots, but it’s so quick and easy to whip up!
Also known as corn casserole, Jiffy Corn Pudding is one of the easiest side dishes you can make, but it tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen. It’s a big hit with everyone, and it uses simple, budget-friendly ingredients, so it’s perfect for a crowd.
This is one of my favorite sides to make for Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings, but it’s perfect for any time of the year, even Easter. It pairs great with baked ham.
❓What is Corn Pudding?
Corn pudding is a mixture of corn niblets and creamed corn that are cooked in Jiffy Cornbread Mix to create a custard-like cornbread delicacy. The cornbread is sweet and crunchy on the edges, while the corn and sour cream mixture is creamy and delicious, making the perfect texture and flavor combination. You’re sure to impress with this recipe!
Table of Contents
- ❓What is Corn Pudding?
- 🥘 Ingredient Notes
- 🍽 Equipment Needed
- 🥣 How to Make Corn Pudding
- 🍱 Recipe Yield
- ⏲ Can I Make Corn Pudding Ahead of Time?
- ♨️ Is Corn Pudding Served Hot or Cold?
- 🙋♀️ Frequently Asked Questions
- 🍗 What to Serve with Corn Pudding
- 🥫 How to Store Leftover Corn Casserole
- ♨️ How to Reheat Leftovers
- ✏️ Helpful Tips
- 🌽 Other Southern Side Dish Recipes
- Jiffy Corn Pudding Recipe
🥘 Ingredient Notes
- Butter – Melt the butter either in the microwave in 30-second increments or on the stove over low heat.
- Corn Niblets – Niblets is a trademarked name that Green Giant uses to describe their fresh corn kernels. It’s basically just a can of whole corn kernels. When you drain the corn, you want to save 1/4 cup of the liquid from the can.
- Creamed Corn – Creamed Corn gives your dish a creamy texture that pairs perfectly with the cornbread mix.
- Sour Cream – Regular or Lite sour cream will work in this recipe, but we prefer to use Regular Full Fat Daisy Sour Cream.
- Cornbread Muffin Mix – I like to use Jiffy CornMuffin Mix, but you can use any brand you prefer – just make sure to use an 8.5 ounce box.
- Eggs – Use large or extra-large eggs – the recipe will work either way.
I like to do half & half here – one half with cheese & jalapeños and the other half plain for those who don’t like spicy things!
- Chopped Pickled Jalapeños
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
🍽 Equipment Needed
- A Mixing Bowl
- A 2-quart Baking Dish – I love this Pyrex dish because it has a lid for storing leftovers. (You can also use two 8 x 8 dishes to make one plain & one with cheese and jalapeños.)
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
🥣 How to Make Corn Pudding
If I make this Jiffy Corn Pudding for a crowd, I like to use two 8 x 8 pans, split the batter in half, and then add cheddar cheese and jalapeños to one of the pans. (This gives an option for people who don’t like spice.)
You can also do half & half in one pan – pictured below.
Made with only 6-ingredients, this corn casserole is quick and easy to whip up either way! Cook along with me here by watching the video.
- First, preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Then, in a large mixing bowl, stir the melted butter, corn, and creamed corn together. (Pictures 1 – 2)
- Add in the eggs, then sour cream. Stir until fully incorporated. (Pictures 3 – 4)
- Lastly, mix in the muffin mix. (Picture 5)
- Stir until there are no more large chunks of muffin mix. (Picture 6)
- Then, spray the 2-quart or two 8 x 8 pans with non-stick cooking spray. (Picture 7)
- Finally, pour your mixture into your prepared baking dish or dishes. (Picture 8)
- If you are making corn pudding with half cheese and jalapeños, stir the cheese and diced jalapeños into half of the batter now. I find that it is easy enough to just mix it in the pan. (Picture 9)
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until golden brown on top. (Picture 10)
Remove from the oven and let the corn pudding cool a little before serving. Enjoy!
🍱 Recipe Yield
If you use the exact ingredients in this recipe, you will make enough corn pudding to serve about 8 people. You can easily double the recipe and bake it in a large 9 x 13 lasagna pan to feed more. Add an additional 15 minutes to the baking time if you double the recipe.
⏲ Can I Make Corn Pudding Ahead of Time?
Yep, you sure can! You can whip up all the ingredients up to 48 hours in advance. Then, place the mixture in the baking dish, cover it with plastic wrap, and put it in the refrigerator. When you are ready to bake it, remove it from the fridge and sit it at room temperature for 30 minutes. Then, bake it following the recipe above.
You can also bake your corn pudding the night before and reheat it right before serving.
♨️ Is Corn Pudding Served Hot or Cold?
This is a matter of personal preference, so you can serve your corn pudding either way! I prefer it warm straight from the oven because the sweet creamy texture is perfectly melty and delicious when warm. (Especially if you add cheese to it!)
🙋♀️ Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, it’s basically the same thing. Corn pudding is a southern dish and has been for generations, but many people call it corn casserole. So, you can call it whichever you prefer.
If your corn pudding appears watery, it may need additional cooking time. Leave it in the oven for a few more minutes, then take it out and let it sit for 3 – 5 minutes to thicken up. It will be more “wet” than regular cornbread as it is a pudding, but it should not be watery.
Share on FacebookShare with friends
🍗 What to Serve with Corn Pudding
Jiffy Corn Pudding is a classic southern side dish. It is usually served alongside traditional Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter meals in the south.
It can be served alongside any main dish, including chicken, steak, and ham. Here are a few of my favorite dishes to serve with Jiffy Corn Pudding:
- Brown Sugar Glazed Ham
- Copycat Applebee’s Bourbon Steak
- Southern Fried Catfish
- Instant Pot Chicken
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken Tenders
🥫 How to Store Leftover Corn Casserole
Once it’s cooled, you can store any corn pudding leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also keep it in the pan it was baked in, tightly covered with plastic wrap if you have the space.
♨️ How to Reheat Leftovers
You can reheat individual portions in the microwave or pop the whole dish back in the oven at 325℉ until it’s warmed all the way through.
✏️ Helpful Tips
- If you’re preparing corn pudding for a holiday meal, it can be made the night before and reheated right before serving. It should be reheated at 325°F until heated throughout.
- If you want to add a cheesy and spicy twist to this recipe, it’s great with cheddar cheese and pickled jalapeños.
- You can also divide the batter to make two types of corn pudding. You can add cheese and jalapeños to one half and make the other half more traditional for people who don’t like spicy food – it’s great with cheddar cheese and pickled jalapeños.
🌽 Other Southern Side Dish Recipes
- Classic Green Bean Casserole
- Quick and Easy Stuffing
- Southern Sweet Potato Casserole with Praline Topping
- Southern Sour Cream Biscuits
Have You Tried This Recipe?
Please rate it and leave a comment below. I would love to hear what you think!
Jiffy Corn Pudding
- a 2 quart baking dish
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 11 – ounce can corn niblets aka corn kernels
- ¼ cup liquid from the can of corn
- 1 15 – ounce can creamed corn
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 8 ½ -ounce box muffin mix I like to use the Jiffy brand
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeños
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425°F and spray a 2-quart baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine melted butter, corn, & creamed corn. Stir until well combined.½ cup melted butter, 1 15 – ounce can creamed corn, 1 11 – ounce can corn niblets
- Mix in eggs, then sour cream. Stir until fully mixed.1 cup sour cream, 2 eggs
- Stir in muffin mix until there are no more clumps.1 8 ½ -ounce box muffin mix
- If you are going to mix in jalapeños and cheese to half of the batter, do so now.3 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeños, ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Pour mixture into baking dish and bake until golden on top – 30 – 35 minutes.
Nutrition information is approximate and is automatically calculated, so should only be used as a guide.
This is good if I make it again I will also add a small amount of finely chopped onion to the mix.
Yum! That sounds really good!